Thursday, November 4, 2010

Create a modern Logo Design

In this tutorial, you will learn how to create a unique logo design in Adobe Photoshop.
At the end you should come up with something like this:

Before we start, I would like to share some words with you regarding logo design.

One of the many mistakes people often do when they try to create logo`s is that they try too hard, they add lots and lots of unnecessary effects to their logo`s thinking it will look even better, but that`s entirely wrong.

Instead of adding lots of complicated effects and shapes, try to keep it simple ( you know: bigger is not always better ). What I`m trying to say is keep it as simple as you can, for example when I create logo`s I try to choose from two to a maximum of four colors for the logo. (in this example I made the logo by using only 2 colurs.)






Then what you need to do is lay down your text and move it around until you think it looks good. In this example, my text is “FootPrint”, notice that I create a separate layer for each of the words, thus having more options to move the text around. After that you probably want to create an icon that suits the logo, In this tutorial I went for a foot icon, pretty simple yet extremely eye catching.

Take one more good look at your logo, maybe move the text or icon around a bit until you find that perfect look that you`re going for.

With this being said let me show you how I built the logo from scratch in Photoshop.

I started up with a 400 by 150 pixels Document with White background.
Now hold down Alt and double click on your Background layer (this will unlock it and transform it into Layer 0).
Right click Layer 0 and go to the Blending options and apply the following:

Gradient Overlay:






And you should now have something like this:

Now it`s time to add your text, I have created 2 text layer ‘Foot’ and ‘Print’.
For the ‘Foot’ text layer I have used the following settings: Font=Impact, Regular Size=34pt, Smooth, color=#FFFFFF
And for the ‘Print’ text layer I have used these settings: Font=Arial, Regular Size=35pt, Smooth, color=#00a2ff

After creating these 2 text layer should have something like this:

It`s time to create the icon. Well, because this logo is made for a ‘Print company’ and their business name is FootPrint I decided to go for a Foot icon. (You can find this icon under the Custom Shape Tool (the shortcut for this is ‘U’):



Set your foreground color to :# 00a2ff and draw the foot.

And that`s it! You have reached the end of this tutorial. Your logo should look something like this:

If you enjoyed this tutorial or if you have anything to ask please leave a comment below, I would really apreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post,
    Beautifully at the same time effectively designed logo is enough for your business to attract countless customers round the globe to your business.
    Thanks for providing this useful post.
    alonaika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corporate Logo Designs are the first coat of paint on a website/brand. I almost said the foundation but I think a content management system like WordPress is more of the foundation. We use logos as starting point of the sites we design.

    ReplyDelete